Saturday, August 3, 2013

Camping for fun?

I don't like camping.  I really don't.  I feel like it is so much work, preparation, and packing just to sleep and cook outside.  Yuk.  I like to feel clean...clean body, clean laundry.  I would have made a terrible pioneer.  Anyway, for our annual Ward campout, we decided to do something a little different.  Most years we will go to the campground for the program and then leave. (one year, I left my family to camp and I went to a hotel...lame, I know!)

Our good friends, the Stockfords have a tent trailer rental business and they offered to let us stay in their most luxurious model.  (They named it the "Andrea Westover" because it so nice, even I, the non-camper will camp in it.)  Can I just say, I loved this tent trailer!  It fit all seven of us and was quite comfortable. We went up a day early to make getting all that stuff packed up actually worth it.

Lydia is inside the trailer.

Hot dogs were the easiest and quickest meal for our first night.  (Casey and I swung by Jimmy Johns on our way up to the campground to get sandwiches for ourselves.  Yeah, I can't do hot dogs.)
The kids loved them though!

Our particular campsite was right next to a creek that came down from Dorena Lake.  The girls immediately set out to explore and wade in it.  It was really cold because it was the water from the bottom of the lake that came through the dam.  The girls didn't seem to mind as it was over 90 degrees outside.

While the little girls were exploring, here is what the older girls did.  That's right...they brought their cross stitching projects.  I was surprised at how much time they spent on them despite the dirt and the dust.

The next morning we hit the creek with these inflatable kayaks that the Andersen family brought.  They were so much fun and easy for the littlest ones to manipulate.


Lydia was a little too small to do it by herself so Sheri Andersen took her out on a kayak ride.  What a good friend!

Later in the afternoon, we went up to Dorena Lake which is just above the campsite.  The lake was warm and the beach was so fun!  We rented this trampoline in the middle of the lake for one hour and boy, was that the highlight of the afternoon.  One hour of pushing each other off of the trampoline and then climbing back on will wear anyone out!  Casey and I got to go on a canoe too...just us and the dog.  We wanted to see if she could swim...she's part labrador after all.  So we got a ways out and threw her in.  She swam like a champ to shore but hated every minute.  We are such good pet owners. :) 

When we got back from the lake we were thrilled to see that our Ward was arriving.  The Stockfords are in 5th ward and we are in 3rd.  It just so happened that we were all camping near each other.  So, the Andersens and the Westover's went to the 3rd ward side and the Stockfords went to the 5th.  We each had a short campfire program with skits and songs.  Later, one of the men from the 5th ward brought his super powered telescope out and we all waited in line to see the moon and even saturn.

In the morning, we got breakfast in the 5th ward camp.  Since Casey is in the Stake Presidency, he kind of floated between wards.  Here are the girls eating their breakfast on a chilly morning.


We had lunch in 3rd ward and then headed back up to the Lake for more playtime.  Oh my, were my girls tired!



My best pal Pamela was kind enough to haul kids all over the swimming area on the yellow kayak.  At one point I think she had 5 or six kids sitting on it.  What a trooper.

So, here's the conclusion I came to about camping.  Camping in a tent trailer is so much better than tent camping.  Camping with your friends and family makes it even better.  I think I may even brave next year's Ward Campout.  (But first, I have to get through Girl's camp next week...with  no tent trailer.  EEK!)

If any of you are interested, here is where you can find the Stockford's business:

here is our week:





1 comment:

  1. How fun! Our ward campout is the week after next. I actually enjoy camping, though, lol. (Especially when I don't have a baby.)

    ReplyDelete